You want to add a table to your wiki page but don’t know how to do it?
There are two different options: Either you create a new table directly in the wiki page. Or you import an already existing table from Excel. In this blog I explain you both options.
1. Create a new table
To create a new table, first click on the edit button on the top right corner of your page. When the edit toolbar appears, click on the “table” icon.
Choose your desired table properties:
- Enter the number of "Rows" and "Columns" you need.
- The option “Border size“ allows you to specify the width of the table border. If the border size is "0" or empty, the table will not have any border.
- You can enter a title in the caption field that will be shown on the top of the table.
- Width describes the table’s width. It is advisable to choose "Width"=100% . Then the table will automatically align itself to the article width and the article will not be skewed.
- Cell spacing describes the space between the cells in the tables in pixels.
- Cell padding describes the space between the cells' borders and the text inside them.
Click "OK" and the table will be displayed.
In case you want to further change your table, e.g. to add another column, right click with your mouse on the table. Then click on “Column” > “Insert Column After”.
Further options include, for example:
- Delete or insert cells, rows and columns etc.
- Merging cells: “Cell” -> “Cell Properties” -> "Merge Right" (or left/down) to merge two cells to one.
- Change the color of a cell: "Cell" -> "Cell Properties" -> "Background Color".
- Change basic table properties: Click “Table properties“.
After finalizing your table, don’t forget to save the page and end the edit mode.
Congratulations! You just created your first wiki table!
2. Import a Table from Excel
To import a table, copy the desired table from excel. Go to your wiki page and click on the edit button on the top right corner of your page. Right click on the edit area where you want the table to be shown, and then click on “Paste” to insert the table into your article.
The table should now look as follows:
As a last step, make a right click on the table and set the table properties as follows: border=1, cell padding=1 and cell spacing =1.
Click “Ok” and save your page by clicking on the “Save page” button at the bottom of the wiki page.
Done! You just imported your first Excel table into your wiki page!